Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The First Problem...Paper

I managed to save those newspapers my mom almost threw out and put them into the recycling bin at school. I kept 5.8 lbs of paper from ending up in the trash.

Here are some paper facts (I'm getting this from the green book)

1 ton of paper equals 17 trees
1 ton of recycled paper saves 380 gallons of oil

My goal is to recycle 1 ton of paper. I don't even know if my house has one ton of paper cluttering it.

What about things like wrapping paper? I'm in the process of Christmas shopping (all local/used/ handmade gifts). I either wrap things in wrapping paper or the Sunday comics I find the the newspapers. Is wrapping paper actually recyclable?

I've seen wrapping paper with post consumer recycled content at Wholefoods before, but we already have so much wrapping paper at the house, I shouldn't buy anymore.

What about recycled paper towels? My mom and I use cloth dish towels but my dad uses massive ( and I mean massive) amounts of paper towels. Got any tips on making him use the recycled ones and eventually decreasing his consumption?

No comments:

Post a Comment